Easy Lemon Meringue Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie. Who doesn’t love that, with the combination of sticky creaminess and sharp lemon tang?
The reason for my posting is a pretty simple one; my making of Limoncello this past weekend saw me with leftover lemons and egg-whites, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out what you can make with those.
Due to time constraints (December is busy enough already) I haven’t made my own pastry, instead opting for a shop bought ready made sweet tart casing. This speeds up the process massively making this recipe a really quick and easy pudding that’s well worth a try.
Lemon Meringue Pie is a classic dessert which is bound to go down a storm at Christmas dinners with all the family. And hey, it’s lemon season after all!
Recipe: Easy Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Summary: Lemon Meringue Pie is a classic dessert; this version is so easy you can knock it up in just half an hour.
- 1 Can Condensed Milk (397g)
- 3 Eggs, separated
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 9″ Sweet Shortcrust Pie Case (ready cooked)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 Cup / 50g Sugar (Demarara preferred)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 395f / 190c.
- Next put your egg yolks in a bowl with the lemon and condensed milk. Mix until custard looking – this will only take a few seconds.
- Pour out the filling into the pie casing and smooth with a spatula / spoon.
- Now in a separate bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the vanilla extract and then slowly add the sugar while beating; it’ll soon start to look smooth and hold stiff peaks. Stop mixing; don’t over-mix!
- Spoon the meringue mixture over the lemon custard, then place into the oven until the peaks are golden brown.
- The meringue will be soft and squidgy – this is how it’s meant to be. Serve with a light cream or on its own and enjoy!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6