Super Detox Broccoli Soup Recipe
So it’s 2009 already. Doesn’t time fly? I’m betting that you did the same as me over Christmas; over-ate, over-drank, and now feel rather sick. Isn’t it time for some nice healthy, slimming and detoxifying food?
Here’s a soup to kick-start your new healthy living (however short a fad it may be), and one that is really quick and easy to prepare, too. The ingredients are nothing more than broccoli and chicken stock, with a garlic clove thrown in for good measure. Truth be told this soup is inspired by a Gordon Ramsay version containing just the broccoli and water – a little bland for my liking (hence the modifications) but feel free to try it either way!
Broccoli is a really super healthy vegetable that is underused in the kitchen, high in vitamin c and fibre as well as being a natural diuretic with anti-carcinogenic (cancer reducing) properties. Phew – I feel healthier just talking about it!
This recipe is also my entry to the great “Weekend Herb Blogging” event – now in its 164th edition – being held over at Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once.
Broccoli Soup Recipe – Ingredients
- 1.2 litres / 5 cups (approx) chicken stock or water
- 600g / 21oz (approx) broccoli (a whole head, basically) – chopped up roughly
- 1 Clove garlic – chopped / minced
- Salt & pepper, to taste.
Broccoli Soup Recipe – Method
- This one is too simple.
- Simply boil the broccoli in the liquid until slightly softened (5 mins or so) before transferring to a blender – retain about 1/4 of the stock liquid as we’re going to add that back in gradually.
- Whizz up the soup until smooth and, as suggested above, add the remaining liquid up until the desired consistancy is reached.
- Season to taste. If you’re eating this as part of a detox it’s worth remembering that salt makes your body retain water, pretty much counteracting some of the diuretic effect of the soup.