This is another healthy recipe, perfect for those of you who fancy losing a few of those extra pounds you gained over the Christmas period. Both the broccoli and cauliflower are excellent detox ingredients, while the chilli is great for releasing endorphines – those natural feel good chemicals in your body. Garlic is a great ingredient too, with detoxifying and antibiotic properties. It’s also great for keeping away the vampires! 🙂
This already being the second week into January, you’ve probably broken all your resolutions, spent all your money on the sales, and are now feeling pretty depressed what with all the doom and gloom about the recession, job cuts, and so on. Still you can cheer yourself up by at least feeding yourself well, can’t you?
Oh, and a tip which sounds so obvious but is so important. It’s really easy to overcook pasta but the key to this and any other pasta recipe is to not overcook it. This honestly makes the different between “just a pasta dish” and a great pasta dish.
And another thing! I’ve used penne here, but I’m sure any other similar shaped pasta such as fusilli would work just fine. This recipe is also my entry to Weekend Herb Blogging, being held over at The Backyard Pizzeria.
Penne with Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipe – Ingredients
Note: I’m not going to give quantities here for most things; it ruins the experience. Just cook how much pasta you need (how many people are you feeding?) and throw in a half dozen or so broccoli florets and the same of cauliflower.
- Penne (or similar pasta)
- Broccoli florets
- Cauliflower florets
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 Cloves Garlic, sliced
- 1/2 Red Chilli (deseeded if preferred), cut into thin strips
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Parmesan, to taste
- Parsley, to garnish
Penne with Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipe – Method
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Throw in the broccoli and cauliflower and cook until slightly softened (a couple minutes or so). When cooked remove and put in a large bowl.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet (in boiling, salted water until al dente). Re-use the water from the broccoli / cauliflower.
- Meanwhile, heat a good glug of olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and chilli. Turn off the heat just before the garlic starts to brown.
- When the pasta is ready drain and put in the bowl with the broccoli / cauliflower. Use a little of the cooking water to moisten the pasta.
- Season well. Add the oil, garlic and chilli mix and toss around until all is combined; you could add some chopped parsley at this stage, too.
- Place into bowls with a good sprinkling of parmesan. Enjoy!