Christmas is great for foodies what with all the parties, Christmas fairs, and other excuses for a good meal. Even the supermarkets stock good quality food items that don’t grace their shelves any other time of the year.
One of the things I always look forward to is seeing what Christmas TV Specials are rolled out each year. With that in mind I’ve compiled this short list featuring the best of this years Christmas food TV – which is of course if probably only relevant to those of you based in the UK.
If I’ve missed any food programmes on tv this year which are worth watching then please leave a comment to let me and others know about it.
- The Hairy Bakers Christmas Special: I’m really looking forward to watching the great Si and Dave back on our screens this Christmas. I enjoyed their Hairy Bakers series this year and recently received their first book “The Hairy Bikers Cookbook” for my birthday. Well worth checking out, showing on 11th December on BBC2.
- Jamie Cooks Christmas: Jamie has never been better than in his great “Jamie At Home” series, so here’s hoping his Christmas special (featuring Italian recipes from Gennaro Contaldo) captures more of that down to earth charm. This is showing on Channel 4 on Christmas Eve at 8:30pm.
- River Cottage Christmas Special: Airing on December 21st at 5:10pm this is a welcome treat. Hugh is back at his best featuring the whole River Cottage team and tackling ingredients such as the humble sprout.
- Willie’s Perfect Chocolate Christmas: Channel 4 top the bill with what is sure to involve lots of chocolate ideas from Willie Harcourt-Cooze. In this special the whole Harcourt-Cooze family get involved in a host of savoury as well as sweet recipes.
- Kill It Cook It Eat It: Depending on your viewpoint this is either a feature or something to put you off your Christmas dinner. In this special airing on December 11th on BBC3, they explore exactly what is involved in growing and killing the turkey you’re ready to tuck into…
- Gordon Ramsay Christmas Cookalong Live: I always find Gordon’s Cookalong Live programs to frantic to keep up with but for those of you that like this program – and I’m sure there are many – make sure not to miss this festive edition with Gok Wan on Channel 4 at 9pm on December 12th.
- Nigella’s Christmas Kitchen: Another helping of Nigella at Christmas is always welcome. Nigella embodies home comfort cooking and this 5 part series starting on BBC2 at 8:30pm on Monday the 15th of December is no exception.