To me the best cakes are the type you can enjoy sitting at home or in a cafe with a cup of coffee. There seems to be a tradition in England of serving cakes covered in cream or ice cream as a “pudding” – great for your palate, not so good for your waist line.
This simple poppy seed cake is delicious and really easy to make. We’ve used vanilla sugar but real vanilla will (of course) work just as well if not better. We hope you like it as much as we do!
Oh – and don’t forget that we’re still running a competition with Hotel Chocolat to win some free chocolate easter eggs!
Poppy Seed Cake Recipe – Ingredients
- 200g Plain Flour
- 250g Butter
- 200g Icing Sugar
- 200g Poppy Seeds
- 4 Free-range Eggs
- 15g Vanilla Sugar (A scraped out vanilla pod will work just as well if not better)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 150g Raisins (optional)
Poppy Seed Cake Recipe – Method
- Soak poppy seeds in warm water for 2 hours. Drain and leave on kitchen towel to roughly dry – they don’t have to be perfect.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Separate egg yolks from whites; egg yolks into a bowl with the butter.
- Grind butter with egg yolks until softened; add poppy seeds and vanilla sugar and stir until combined.
- Whip egg whites to soft peaks.
- Slowly add the flour and egg whites to the bowl with butter, poppy seeds and sugar. Gently fold in the ingredients while adding them, being careful not to over-mix. The idea is to put air in, not out.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 180 degrees until golden and risen. Check if cooked through (as we do) by poking a cocktail stick through the centre – if it comes out clean and dry, the cake is ready.
That’s all. Now go an enjoy a piece with a nice cup of coffee. Enjoy!