This is a round-up of recipes submitted for our monthly seasonal food blogging event “In The Bag”. This month we chose Purple Sprouting Broccoli as the ingredient – and I’m really impressed with everyone’s ideas for this great vegetable.
Geeky fact of the day is that the purple colour on the head of the plant comes from tiny flower buds. Its short season lasts only from mid February to mid April, so tuck in and enjoy some while it lasts!
Purple Sprouting Broccoli Recipes
- First up is a delicious recipe for Egg Noodles with Purple Broccoli and Grilled Tofu from Margot at “Coffee and Vanilla”. This is a fantastic and original use for a vegetable such as this – you just have to try it!
- Next is another great oriental way of serving up purple sprouting broccoli with chilli and soy sauce. This really is the kind of vegetable that can stand out on its own without fancy cooking techniques.
- A totally different method of cooking comes in the form of this tasty looking Green Vegetable Minestrone from Pixie at “You say tomahto, I say tomayto”.
- Next up is Amy from “We Are Never Full” with her slightly cheaty “Perfect Broccoli Raab/Broccoli Rabe/Broccoli Di Rape WITH Garlic, Peperoncino and Sweet Italian Sausage“. The cheat is that this doesn’t actually use PSB at all; head on over there to read more.
- Julia from “A Slice of Cherry Pie” is the co-host of our In The Bag seasonal food blogging event (and you can catch April’s edition over there). She has submitted the unusual combination of purple sprouting brocolli with mint. This is another example of how a vegetable can be enjoyed without too much playing.
- A forkful of spaghetti with her orrechiette with PSB, bacon, and gorgonzola, with PSB and chestnut pesto. This is a recipe after my own heart – as you’ll tell by the measurement method when you read it!
- Jules from “Domestic Goddess in Training” has prepared a Sticky Pork and Purple Sprouting Broccoli Stirfry. There seems to be something of an Eastern theme this month!
- And finally (and probably least) is my own Purple Sprouting Broccoli in Parmesan Herbed Crumbs. It’s mine in the sense that I cooked it; the recipe comes from the BBC Good Food website and is well worth trying.