I’m hosting Weekend Herb Blogging this weekend (send your entries to scott [at] realepicurean [dot] com before the 26th of August), so here’s my entry to use up the last of one of summer’s (and indeed England’s) most symbolic fruits – the almighty Strawberry.
Strawberries and Champagne also go really, really well together, and in this jam the Champagne is very delicate but still adds an extra element to something already delicious. It’s great with the deepest darkest red and ripe strawberries you can get hold of, too.
Incidentally I always play it by ear with jam and have just a bit less sugar than fruit, but some people are much more precise – maybe they want the thickness of their jam just so. If you’re worried, you could also invest in a jam thermometer, too.
Strawberry and Champagne Jam Recipe – Ingredients
- 1.5kg Strawberries (washed, leaves removed, and chopped up roughly).
- 1.25kg Caster Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 50ml Champagne
Strawberry and Champagne Jam Recipe – Method
- Place strawberries in a pan with lemon juice and Champagne until softened.
- Add the sugar and heat until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Bring to the boil and allow to bubble for around 7 minutes or until jam sets when tested.
- Place in sterilized jars while still hot.
Enjoy as and when required liberally smeared all over some home made bread (such as my fantastic and easy Soda Bread recipe)!
To Sterilise the Jar:
- 3/4 fill jar with water.
- Place in microwave on full power.
- When all water is evaporated, jar is sterilized.
- Pour boiling water over the jar lid and leave for 5 minutes.