In The Bag: Cooking the month of May!
I’m pleased to announce a new food blogging event based around Seasonal Food, which I’m sure you all know I’m very passionate about. The event is a joint effort between myself, Cherry’s English Kitchen and A Slice of Cherry Pie, and is being held at the latter (A Slice of Cherry Pie) for the first time ever in May.
If you’ve ever watched “Ready Steady Cook” you’ll be familiar with the idea – each month we open a bag of suprise ingredients, and it’s up to you to make something from them. More info below!
The May bag contains: Asparagus – Sea Trout – Spring Onions
Eagerly awaited by foodies all over the country, asparagus is surely the cream of the crop of spring vegetables. English asparagus is considered to be among the best in the world so we are very fortunate to have such easy access to it. The Asparagus season runs from May to June.
This pink-fleshed fish is full of flavour and in season from March to July.
These are delicate young onions with a mild flavour. They are perfect raw in salads and are in season from May until September.
How To Enter
To enter the May event, simply send an email with ‘In the Bag in the subject line to asliceofcherrypie AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk by Saturday 26th May with the following information:
- your name
- the name of your blog and its URL
- a link to your post
- the name of your dish
- a picture of your dish
The roundup will be posted on the Thursday 31st May at A Slice of Cherry Pie (the host rotates every month).
Here are the rather loose rules – remember the objective is to have fun whilst highlighting seasonal food:
1. Entries must use (or attempt to use) all of the ingredients “in the bag” for that particular month. The dish should try and use be based around the seasonal ingredient, rather then just including it as an afterthought.
2. Participants can include any “extra” ingredients that they see fit.
3. Entries should include a link back to the host for that month, and the post should be tagged “in the bag” and “itb”. Use of the “In The Bag” logo is allowed (and encouraged) but not required.
4. Entries can be written any time during the month, as long as the URL is emailed to that month’s host before the round up date.
5. Particpants from outside of the UK are most welcome to join in and substitute an item from their own local seasonal produce if necessary.
That’s all! Any deviations from the above are at the discretion of the host.