Advocaat is one of those drinks that gets brought out every Christmas, and noone seems sure quite what to do with. In short, it’s the European version of Eggnog (but without the milk) – and if made right, can be delicious. It’s also much more delicious when homemade, and can be made much thicker.
To answer both these points, we’ve brought together some of the best uses for Advocaat over the Christmas period, along with a classic and easy to follow recipe (further down this page). Have fun!
5 Uses For Advocaat
- Pour over your Christmas Pudding instead of custard. Sure, it looks the same, but who’s complaining?
- Drizzle over ice-cream as a sauce.
- Make Advocaat Coffee – simply stir as much as desired into a mug of hot coffee with a touch of Nutmeg.
- Make a “Snowball” cocktail by mixing Advocaat, Lemonade, and a few ice cubes.
- Thin down with milk and a little nutmeg to make a festive long drink.
Advocaat Recipe – Ingredients
- 10 Eggs
- 275 g Sugar
- 400ml Vodka
- 1 1/2 level teaspoons vanilla essence
- Pinch of Salt – to taste
Advocaat Recipe – Method
- First seperate the eggs into seperate bowls, then beat the yolks with the dry ingredients until thickened.
- Slowly pour in the vodka while continually whisking, until fully mixed.
- Place a bowl over a pan of heating water. Add the mixture and whisk over the heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and pour to a jug, before allowing to cool.
And to serve…
Top with some whipped cream and eat with a spoon, or follow any of our suggestions at the top of this page…Enjoy!