This is truly the worlds easiest bread. No exaggerating, within 60 minutes you will have fully edible, delicious bread – including mixing, baking, everything. What’s more, this recipe does not require kneading, using of yeast, or any of those other baking philosophies that can be so frightening.
On the slightly technical side of things, the Baking Soda here is doing what yeast normally does – fizzing up and giving bubbles to your bread. Sure, it will taste a little different and have a different texture, but it’s still perfectly acceptable bread by any standards.
This bread is delicious served when still slightly warm, smeared with either salted or unsalted butter, then heavily coated with strawberry jam. I love it!
Oh…And while I might have missed “World Bread Day“, here’s what I would have made, if I’d have had time. Which I didn’t. Oh well.
Easy Soda Bread Recipe – Ingredients
- 275g Plain Flour
- 250g “Live” Natural Yoghurt
- 1tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
Easy Soda Bread Recipe – Method
- Sieve all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, and mix together
- Add the yoghurt and mix further. Use you hands to combine the mixture.
- Add more flour if the mix is at all sticky – it should feel “doughy”, and mix more until combined.
- Rustic is the key – don’t worry if the mix is not sticking together perfectly!
- Form a ball, and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees centigrade until golden brown all over.
And to serve…
Simply allow to cool (or don’t – you can eat this when still slightly warm), and follow our photograph example of smearing with butter and jam. Enjoy!