A Greek Stifado is probably one of the most cunning dishes you can cook. On one hand, the ingredients are very simple; apart from the sauce, it’s nothing more then beef and onions. On the other hand, however, this is a luxurious treat, with a rich red wine and cinnamon sauce that just oozes sophistication.
Greek Stifado Recipe – Ingredients
- 750g Stewing Steak, Diced
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour, seasoned
- 650g Shallots (Whole, but peeled)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic – peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon Powder – or 1 real Cinnamon Stick
- 3 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1/2 Bottle Red Wine
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 50g Feta Cheese, diced to 1cm squares
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Greek Stifado Recipe – Method
1. Preheat oven to 160c.
2. Heat a pan with a little olive oil.
3. Toss the beef in the seasoned flour, then add to the hot pan, browning on all sides.
4. Remove beef from the pan, and add the onions, until softened but not browned (approx 5 minutes). Add the garlic 1 minute before finished.
5. Re-add the beef, along with all remaining ingredients except the feta cheese.
6. When simmering, remove from heat and place in the oven. Cook for between 2 and 4 hours, stirring occassionaly.
Serve in bowls with some of the best rustic bread you can find. Sprinkle the top of the bowls with a few cubes of the chopped feta. Enjoy!