Maki Zushi is the typical Japanese Sushi dish of the sushi-roll. This vegetarian version is probably the simplest (and safest!) way to get started with Sushi in your own home, and if done correctly, can be very elegant.
You could of course opt for Temaki Zushi instead, which is the Japanese equivelant of a fajita – your guests roll their own at the table.
Japanese Sushi Roll / Maki Zushi – Ingredients
- Prepared Sushi Rice
- 1/2 Cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 Carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Packet Yaki Nori (Sea Weed paper, available in Oriental Supermarkets or online)
- Wasabi (Japanese Green Mustard – available online or in Oriental Supermarkets)
- Soy Sauce
- Pickled Ginger
Japanese Sushi Roll / Maki Zushi Recipe – Method
1. Follow our recipe for Sushi Rice.
2. Lay Yaki Nori strip flat, preferably on a rolling mat.
3. place rice along the strip approximately 1/2 up the strip.
4. Place matchsticks of the cucumber/carrot along the length of the strip.
5. Begin rolling the strip as tight as you can.
6. Cut the tighly rolled strip into disks approximately 2cm thick.
And To Serve…
Arrange a few slices of the Sushi roll on a plate, with a portion of the pickled ginger (remember minimalist is key). Make small dishes available with the Soy Sauce and Wasabi, and serve with chop sticks. Allow guests to take a slice of the roll, dip in the sauce(s), and eat. Enjoy!