This is a typical Irish bread, and is a very simple recipe to make. It serves as comfort food of the highest order, best enjoyed with a cup of tea. The taste and texture of this bread are unique.
Irish Soda Bread – Ingredients
- 450 grams Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 100 grams Raisins
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 240ml Buttermilk
- 60 grams Unsalted Butter
Irish Soda Bread Recipe – Method
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees c, and lightly grease a baking tray
2. Combine all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, including the raisins, leaving a well in the centre.
3. Mix butter, buttermilk, and egg and add to the mixing bowl.
4. Slowly combine the wet ingredients into the dry, until just combined.
5. Turn out onto floured surface, and knead until smooth.
6. Form a ball, then place this on the baking tray (pushing slightly to flatten the bottom).
7. Cut a deep cross into the top of the loaf.
8. Cook for approximately 50 minutes until hardened.
Cut or tear into chunks, and spread with your favorite fruit jam and butter. Enjoy!