Always on the lookout for something new, our local supermarket suprised us when we were out shopping by presenting us with ox heart, at a ridiculous price of 42p (English money). Never ones to pass up a bargain, we snapped it up, then went home to figure out how to cook heart; we ended up settling with the most simple method we could dream up, which turned out to be just perfect.
Incidentaly, searches on Google to try and help us turned up nothing; lots of recipes telling us how to look after our hearts, and keep them healthy. We don’t want our hearts healthy – we want them cooked!
Heart Recipe – Ingredients
- 1 ox Heart
- Plain Flour
- Creamed Horseradish
- Butter (unsalted)
Heart Recipe – Method
- Prepare the heart if not already prepared. Cut open, open out flat, rinse, then cut away all valves (e.g. everything except the meat). Cut the opened out heart into two, and you should have two ‘steak’ looking peices of meat.
- Cut into strips approx 3cm wide.
- Roll the strips in the flour, which should be well seasoned with pepper, for extra kick.
- Melt the butter in a griddle, and when hot add the heart strips.
- Cook for 5 minutes either side until cooked through. The color will not be pink, but certainly not cooked any further then the ‘just brown’ stage.
And to serve…
Arrange the heart strips on the plate, with fiery hot horseradish on the side, as a starter. Alternatively turn into a main course by adding salad or vegetables as desired to the plate.