Californian Carrot Cake is symbolic of the state’s food style. Veering away from the traditional American stereotype of hamburgers and fries, California is beginning to create it’s own food genre, based around healthy ingredients, fruits etc.
This Californian Carrot Cake Recipe is traditional in that is uses both walnuts and ground almonds. It is suprisingly moreish, and while the cake itself is reasonably healthy, we have offset this with a luxurious orange syrup sauce. This makes for a truly indulgious desert, and is also perfect at any time of day.
Californian Carrot Cake Recipe – Ingredients
- 4oz/113g Butter (Unsalted)
- 4oz/113g Margarine
- 8oz/225g Dark Brown Sugar
- 6oz/175g Self Raising Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
- 4 Large Eggs
- Zest and Juice of 1 Orange
- 2oz/50g Ground Almond
- 12oz/340g Fine Grated Carrot
- 4oz/125g Walnuts
Californian Carrot Cake Recipe – Method
1. Cream butter margerine and sugar until light and fluffy.2. Add eggs 1 at a time, slowly adding spices, baking powder, and orange juice and zest.
3. Add sieved flour and ground almonds.
4. Fold in carrot and nuts.
5. Line tin or tray with grease proof paper/baking parchment.
6. Bake at 165c or gas mark 3 until springy, or a skewer/cake tester comes out clean.
7. Cool on rack
And For The Sauce…
Heat dark brown sugar with 1 cup of orange juice to form a syrup. Pour over and serve when hot.Enjoy!