Firstly, let me just say that this Polish recipe title should actually read ‘Buraczki Zasmarzane’, as my Polish wife pointed out, but I thought that might be too complicated for English speakers, when what we’re actually talking about is ‘Fried Beetroot’.
This method of preparing beetroot turns a vegetable which can taste quite bland into something entirely different – sweet and delicious! The perfect side to any Polish dish.
Buraczki Recipe – Ingredients
- 12 Beetroot (medium sized), cooked, peeled, and pureed
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream
- 30g Butter (unsalted)
- 1 1/2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
Buraczki Recipe – Method
- Put beetroot in a large pan, making a well (hole) in the middle.
- Put butter in the hole, and heat gently. When butter is melted, and the beetroot starts to ‘sizzle’, stir this.
- Mix 1 1/2 tsp Sugar, a pinch of salt, and the vinegar to the beetroot, continually stirring over the heat.
- Mix in the sour cream, cooking for a further minute.
- Taste, and add more sugar/vinegar to taste.
And to serve…
Serve with any cooked meat – meatballs, steak, or sausages, and potatoes. Enjoy!